Thursday 3 October 2013

Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm




After my disappointment at the No7 melting gel cleanser not being the best at removing my make up, the search continued for a cleanser that would remove all my make up before I went ahead with my trusty No7 hot cloth cleanser.  I was initially tempted by the infamous Emma Hardie balm, but not being a fan of heavily scented products on my face, my search lead me to Clinique.  I'd heard little about this in blog-land until I stumbled across it on Caroline Hirons' fabulous skincare blog, but once I searched for the actual product, I found many a review singing it's praises, and this review is going to be another one.

I was never a fan of Cliniques 3-step system; I didn't mind the moisturiser but aside from that, the only other Clinique product I've used, but actually really liked, was their Take the Day off dual-phase eye make up remover.  I'd never actually noticed the balm version before, and I guess it does look rather inconspicuous in it's little pot, next to Clinques typical tall bottles of cleansers and such. While not the most glamorous packaging, I do like it.  It's neat and compact, and certainly doesn't look cheap or tacky.

On opening the tub, balm doesn't look the most attractive of products, and to be honest it looks an awful lot like a tub of lard.  But don't let this put you off, as this lard-like substance is possibly the best make up remover I've ever used.  You only need a small amount; just scoop it out and massage it all over dry skin.  As you massage, the balm melts into an oil and dissolves make up so quickly.  You can even use this on your eyes; just make sure you do your eyes last or you'll have mascara everywhere! I then tend to add a little water so it emulsifies and massage again, before rinsing a flannel under hand hot water, and wiping away.  The result? Every scrap of make up is gone and my skin feels fresh and clean, and ready to follow up with my second cleanse. The formula is completely fragrance free, and contains no essential oils, which may not be to everyones taste but for sensitive skins it would be ideal.  However, there's no reason why you couldn't follow up with a cleanser rich in these if you so wished. 

L-R: Urban Decay foundation & eyeliner, Rimmel lipstick, Topshop blusher & Benefit cream shadow.
Going, going...
... gone!
I'm really glad I tried out this cleanser.  At £21 it's not super cheap, but it's definitely well worth the money, especially as it'll last a really long time.  I've been using mine for around a month now and apart from a bit of dent from when I was using a bit too much to start with, I've hardly used any.  Inside and out, it's definitely not the most glamorous of cleansers, but it does the job, and at the end of the day that's all that really matters isn't it?
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. I've been using Liz Earle hot cloth cleanser but I've heard loads about take the day off, and it looks like it's really good from your swatches, I might have to give it a go. I always assumed that it would be much more expensive than Liz Earle !

    S xo.

    blinkeredbarbie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty good value really, I never thought I'd ever pay more than £10 for a cleanser, let alone £20, but this will last months. If you like to double cleanse, then I think this followed by your Liz Earle would be a lovely combination :) x

      Delete
  2. I really really really want to try this! Especially after seeing the demo pics, good show!

    Charlotte - www.blotandreapply.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cleansing balm sounds lovely and is definitely something I'd try too!
    www.dolleduplondon.com

    ReplyDelete

© SARLAVIE. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig