Friday 31 August 2012

Benefit Stay Don't Stray


Eyeshadow primer is a must for me, without it my eyeshadows apply very unevenly, fades quickly and basically do everything a primer stops it from doing. For years I've used the infamous Urban Decay Primer Potion, but when my last tube ran out, I decided to try the  Benefit for a change.

As you can see, Stay Don't Stray (right) is slightly darker and thicker than UDPP

Benefit describe this as having a universally flattering shade.  Unlike the likes of UDPP this doesn't dry translucent on the skin, it actually applies almost like a nude cream eyeshadow.  This isn't an issue for me, and I've even just put this on my eyelids with no shadow over it.  It does a great job of hiding the discolouration on my eyelids and just evens them out a bit.  This and a bit of liquid liner & mascara and I've got a quick and easy eye look. I'm unsure if those with darker skin tones would prefer a primer that does dry translucent, although if it's going to be covered over with eyeshadow, it won't matter too much maybe! It is also slightly thicker in texture, and I seem to need a smaller 'dollop' than I would with UDPP. With eye shadow, it worked really well for me too, possibly better than UDPP.  Eight hours later my eye makeup was still intact and hard barely creased. Result!

Stay Don't Stray is a "dual action" primer, as it can also be used to help your concealer stay put longer.  To be honest, I felt it made no difference to my concealer.  I wasn't too bothered about this as I bought it purely to use as an eyeshadow primer.  But obviously I gave it a go under my concealers, but felt they did just as good a job on their own.  My go-to concealer at the moment is the Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection, a liquid concealer, so maybe it'd work better with a cream concealer. But like I say, this wouldn't put me off buying this again as I didn't buy it for this purpose.

The major downfall of this product for me is the packaging.  Remember the old UDPP packaging with the genie bottle? And the You Tube videos that showed us how cutting the bottle in half would unleash more product than the wand could reach?!  Well Benefit have made a similar boo boo here. While the pump dispenser is hygienic, unless you are extremely careful, it dispenses too much product. WAY too much product.  Over time I've learned that you only need to press gently on the pump, and not push it all the way down.  This is easier said than done, especially if you're in a rush to get ready like I usually am and even doing this often gives you too much product.  I've possibly wasted more product than I've actually used, which when a product costs almost £20, it's not something you want to do!


 

As much as I love Benefit, and how much this works well for me, I'm not sure I'd repurchase this again, unless they changed the packaging.  It's a shame really, as the primer itself works better for me than UDPP, but £19.50 is a lot of money for me if half the product is going to waste.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Brilliant review!
    I've actually never used an eyeshadow primer before as I don't tend to wear enough eye shadow to justify buying one! I've heard the Urban Decay one is good though.

    lovely blog
    now following

    xxx

    http://thebigburd.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Yep the Urban Decay is really good, but apparently MUA in Superdrug do one that's really cheap. Might be worth a look if you don't think you'd use it that often :)

      Gonna check out your blog now :) xx

      Delete

© SARLAVIE. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig